Sunday, November 21, 2010

Stitches!

Well, we made it through 5.5 years of parenting without any major injuries requiring a trip to the Emergency Room. That ended yesterday. I was upstairs getting ready to take Jonah to Target to pick out birthday gifts for his cousins. The plan was that we'd go buy the gifts while Daddy watched the Ohio State game. We'd come home, wrap said gifts, and all 3 go to the party. I'd have to leave the party early to go babysit.

So, I was upstairs. Karl and Jonah were downstairs playing/watching tv in the living room. I heard the sound of glass breaking. I thought someone had broken a window because there was no cry, just "Jonah go to Mommy". I thought K wanted J out of the way of broken glass or something. So he came to me, hand out, bleeding. I had just put clean towels in the linen closet and we were right there so I grabbed one and wrapped his hand and held him. He really only cried a few tears. Took a look at the hand a few minutes later and saw that it wasn't bleeding much anymore but there was a huge gash and I thought I saw a tendon or something. Something just didn't look right. So I told Karl to get J's shoes and coat and get him in the car while I grabbed my coat, shoes, and purse.

We drove to Urgent Care, wondering if they'd still be open. They were. Only 3 cars in the parking lot. No one in the waiting room. GREAT, we thought, we'll be seen quickly and be home in no time. WRONG. The people at the desk asked what happened, took a quick look at J's hand, and said we should go to the ER. They didn't want to touch it because they thought he'd sliced a tendon.

Luckily, right next door was a new hospital. Tri Point. They signed him in right away, took his vitals, and put us in an ER room. The doctor came in a few minutes later, took a look at it, and the first thing she said was "Have you ever had stitches before?", Jonah said no, and she said "Well, we're gonna send you to x-ray to make sure there's no glass in there and then we'll stitch that cut up. It won't be easy."

So we went right to x-ray, where they found NO glass in his hand. Took him back, he got 5 stitches, bandaged him up, gave him a prescription for an antibiotic, and we were discharged. Everyone at the hospital was impressed at how great Jonah did...no tears, no yelling, no fighting. He just let them do what they needed to do. They said he did better than most adults. Tri Point staff was great and we weren't kept waiting much at all, the longest we waited was about 15 minutes for his discharge paperwork.

I may not have made it to my babysitting job last night, but we did still make it (an hour late) to the party! I am so proud of my big, brave boy. Pray it heals well and doesn't get infected. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment